Academic Approach is an educational services company whose name is synonymous with excellence, integrity, and innovation. Our success is a direct product of the talented teams who teach our students, build our curriculum and software, design our programs, lead professional development in our partner schools, and manage our services.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Research Associate to help to support the Department of Education as it grows and stewards the high-quality instructional resources of Academic Approach. You will be ideally positioned to build upon our growth if you are a(n):
- Innovator: We understand that all great things start with a groundbreaking idea/strategy and are followed with diligent and collaborative execution and insight.
- Explorer: We relentlessly pursue the knowledge needed to shape and influence student and school performance.
- Problem-Solver: We are dedicated to finding concrete and actionable solutions to the education challenges facing students. We embrace difficulties with optimism and team work.
- Organizer: We prioritize all of our activities around what’s best for students and schools and organize our activities to turn great ideas into reality.
- Builder: We are committed to the success of the mission. We believe nothing should be done without purpose and a focus on the future.
- Collaborator: We collaborate with schools to understand the unique needs of their students so that we may tailor a customized solution to drive their student achievement.
The Position: Research Associate
This exempt full-time position’s overall objective is to maintain and implement a research agenda that conforms to organizational priorities and client needs that generates compelling evidence for the efficacy of Academic Approach’s programming. The ideal candidate will be a have experience in implementing and evaluation research studies in support of a larger organizational goal. The position also requires strong reasoning, organizational, and time-management skills. Work location is the Chicago office located in Lincoln Park.
In this position, you will report to the Executive Director of Education and support the Directors of Curriculum.
As the Research Associate, you will have the following job responsibilities:
- Consistently evaluate success against satisfaction and achievement of students and instructors at Academic Approach, including:
- development and implementation of surveys and interviews
- data collection, entry, and coding
- literature reviews of relevant existing research in a given area
- Administrate logistics and data procedures for validating in-house assessments against benchmarks and external assessments
- Manage and administrate procedures for evaluating impact of curriculum, instruction, technology, and assessments on outcomes
- Process and compile data for internal reporting, external reporting, and communication purposes to support reporting design and data visualization
- Stay current with trends and news pertaining to key educational sectors including the ACT, SAT, other college entrance exams, assessment standards, and the Common Core State Standards
- Stay current with trends in eLearning, online testing, and computer-adaptive testing
- Collaborate with organization and department leaders in developing and implementing a research agenda
- Communicate with research partners, students, and parents as necessary to support research projects and assessment validation
- Manage additional administrative tasks as needed to support the Education Department
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
The Research Associate position requires the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 2-4 years of experience in:
- implementing research studies
- quantitative and qualitative analysis (expertise in statistical software strongly desired)
- interpreting research findings
- Strong critical thinking skills and the ability to integrate information from multiple sources and communicate that information clearly
- Exceptional attention to detail and focus on data quality
- Excellent communication and organization skills with a strong sense of personal accountability
- Self-motivated work style and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders in the research process
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and manage multiple complex projects with strong attention to detail
- Occasional travel required (<5%) to attend conferences for research purposes
- This position requires sitting for long periods of time
Compensation and Benefits
Academic Approach offers very competitive compensation and a dynamic, collaborative, growing company environment. Benefits include health, dental, and vision benefits, up to 10 days of accruable vacation per year, sick days, paid holidays, 4 half days per year, 1 work from home day per quarter, 401(k) participation after one year of employment, paid maternity/paternity leave, and a transit benefit program.
Academic Approach provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
About Academic Approach
At Academic Approach, we are driven by one mission: to academically support students, families, and school leaders in this ever-changing, never-boring, always thrilling assessment landscape.
Founded in Chicago in 2001, Academic Approach empowers students and educators from all backgrounds and skill levels to succeed both on and beyond college admissions testing. Through our data-driven, skills-based approach, curriculum, and software, Academic Approach provides professional development and coaching, interim/formative assessments and in-depth analytics, and direct instructional services to students.