Academic Approach is an educational services company whose name is synonymous with excellence, integrity, and innovation. Our success is a direct product of the talented teams who teach our students, build our curriculum and software, design our programs, lead professional development in our partner schools, and manage our services.
The Position: Director of Marketing
This exempt, full-time position’s overall objective is to lead all aspects of the marketing function as Academic Approach grows locally and nationally. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to adapt to fast-changing situations. The position also requires strong networking, reasoning, organizational, and time-management skills.
In this position, you will report to Senior Leadership with responsibility for overseeing and implementing marketing programs with the primary goal of increasing sales and brand recognition. Marketing activities will represent Academic Approach as the preeminent educational resource for college readiness exam preparation for schools and students. Work location is Academic Approach's Lincoln Park office located in Chicago, IL.
As the Director of Marketing, you will have the following job responsibilities:
- Strategy Development and Implementation
- Implement, manage, and develop marketing plans for each vertical that reflect business goals, vision, and market conditions
- Manage product launch of a new online system for schools including product positioning, messaging, collateral creation, promotions, conference logistics, and web site support
- Leverage social media, SEM, email marketing, promotions, conferences, local events, content marketing, and B2B advertising to increase awareness, acquisition, engagement, and retention
- Lead efforts to grow our internal mailing and emailing lists to build brand consideration and preference
- Manage company website, SEO development, and blog content
- Manage creative development and production of new collateral
- Ensure that all content is up-to-date, maintains brand standards, and functions smoothly and effectively
- Develop and maintain best practice marketing manual and calendar
- Represent Academic Approach at occasional conferences and other off-site marketing events
- Promote a positive working culture by frequently communicating and collaborating with various departments
- Research and Analysis
- Use and manage Google Analytics to measure web traffic/usage activity
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative marketing research that provides data-driven, revenue-driving insights and predictive analytics
- Research and analyze competitors for product and pricing strategies
- Manage ROI and work output of external marketing contractors
- Supervise direct report(s)
- Minimal travel required
- Other duties, responsibilities, meetings, activities, and number of direct reports may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
The Director of Marketing position requires the following qualifications:
- 6+ years of experience in education-industry marketing, specifically in secondary education.
- Strong knowledge of Chicagoland high schools
- Experience marketing to schools, educators, and/or students and their families
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or a related field
- Demonstrated experience using the follow tools to develop, implement, and track the performance of marketing initiatives:
- Google Analytics
- Google AdWords
- Facebook Advertising
- Hootsuite or other social media management site
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Microsoft Office
- Optimizely or other landing page creator
- WordPress and marketing website development
- Experience using quantitative and qualitative data to develop company-wide marketing strategies
- Background in ROI and customer acquisition costs analysis
- Able to manage cross-departmental projects by utilizing strong collaboration skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time
- Experience in test prep industry, specifically in the ACT and SAT.
- Small and mid-sized business experience in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment
Compensation and Benefits
Academic Approach offers very competitive compensation and a dynamic, collaborative, growing company environment. Benefits include health, dental, and vision benefits, up to 12 days of accruable vacation per year, sick days, paid holidays, 4 half days per year, 1 work from home day per quarter, 401(k) participation after one year of employment, paid maternity/paternity leave, and a transit benefit program.
About Academic Approach
At Academic Approach, we are driven by one mission: to academically support students, families, and school leaders in this ever-changing, never-boring, always thrilling assessment landscape.
You will be ideally positioned to build upon our growth if you are a(n):
- Innovator: We understand that all great things start with a groundbreaking idea/strategy and are followed with diligent and collaborative execution and insight.
- Explorer: We relentlessly pursue the knowledge needed to shape and influence student and school performance.
- Problem-Solver: We are dedicated to finding concrete and actionable solutions to the education challenges facing students. We embrace difficulties with optimism and team work.
- Organizer: We prioritize all of our activities around what’s best for students and schools and organize our activities to turn great ideas into reality.
- Builder: We are committed to the success of the mission. We believe nothing should be done without purpose and a focus on the future.
- Collaborator: We collaborate with schools to understand the unique needs of their students so that we may tailor a customized solution to drive their student achievement.
Founded in Chicago in 2001, Academic Approach empowers students and educators from all backgrounds and skill levels to succeed both on and beyond college admissions testing. Through our data-driven, skills-based approach, Academic Approach provides high-impact test preparation – both one-on-one tutoring and classroom course instruction – for students, professional development and coaching for faculty, and interim/formative assessments along with in-depth analytics for schools and school districts.
Academic Approach provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.